Thursday, November 6, 2008

Labor O Labor - Wherefore art thou Labor?

I feel the need to vent and whine. Although I am only 5 days away from my due date (November 11), and the doctor has scheduled me for an induction on that day if I don't have Charlotte before then, I am jumping-out-of-my-skin ready to birth this child!!!! It has truly been a miracle and a privilege to be able to carry 2 babies in the last 2 years, but I have never been SO anxious to deliver. To add insult to injury I thought I was in labor on Tuesday morning. My contractions were regular and about 5 minutes apart. They weren't exceptionally strong (should've been my first clue), but they were consistent and had been for a good portion of the night, too. My wonderful visiting teachers took our girls and Brent and I headed to Labor & Delivery. I settled into the not-so-comfy hospital bed, got hooked up to the moniters, answered the bazillion questions posed by our very nice nurse, and promptly stopped having contractions. Our nurse tried to be kind when she said, "We're really not registering any contractions....Are you feeling them more in your back now?" Nope. They were gone. We stayed a few hours so that they could monitor Charlotte's heartbeat and see if my mysterious contractions would return, but in the end they gingerly told me they would be sending me home. That's when the crying started. It was a combination of deep disappointment and embarrassment at having come in when I really wasn't in true labor. Kind of silly to be embarrassed - I have since talked with many women who have had the same experience. Better safe than sorry, right? But, oh how sorry I was that I would have to keep waiting to have my baby.
I will keep you all updated and try not to whine too much until the blessed day arrives.

4 comments:

Doug Frost said...

I know nothing about the pain of being pregnant, and I hope that I never become pregnant myself, but with the Child Development and growth class that I am taking, I have learned that many women have the same experience as you. You are not alone!

michellecluff said...

HEY! I just got your text! CONGRATS!!! I hope all is well. please let me know if I can do anything!! Give that cute baby girl a kiss for me!
~Michelle

Mrs. T said...

Oh Lisa- u r not alone. I tried to convince Nick many times i was in true labor. :) I am glad she finally came today though! I cant wait to see her! let me know if u need anything. Hope u r doing well. :)

Annette and Scott said...

We heard thru the Hammond grapevine that you have had your new baby girl. Congrats!! We can't wait to see her! Hope everyone is doing well!