Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Warm Day, Warm Heart

The girls and I spent some time in the backyard today. It was WONDERFUL. It was warm and the sun was shining. I even had the urge to slather my children in sunscreen! That hasn't happened in so many long cold months.

I've been pruning back the 3 rose bushes in the backyard. I cut them way back because apparently they like that. They should look like dead stubby things during the winter in order to get the best out of them once the weather warms up. We'll see if my efforts yield gorgeous blossoms come summer.

Before:


After:

You can see what color this rose will be on the tag attached. Looks like sunrise colors.

We also have a rose called "Purple Heart." It's quite a coincidence that this bush was already in the yard, because purple roses are Brent's favorite...he says they remind him of me. They should look like this when they bloom:



This is what the bush looks like now:



We've got a long way to go.

My two "junior gardeners" were eager to help today. I bought Hannah some little Dora the Explorer gardening gloves which she proudly sported this morning. She touched one of the thorny rose bushes and declared, "that didn't hurt me! I'm wearing gloves." Mia kept busy with eating snow and dirt. She occasionally stopped to bark at the neighbor dog who was barking at us over the fence. She yells "dah!" "dah!" (dog) whenever she hears one. Charlotte joined us in her car seat and just enjoyed the fresh air.









I'll leave you with a photo of the view from the backyard. I feel so blessed to live here. Every day I have the chance to take a moment and reflect on this gift that Heavenly Father has given our family. I'm humbled by His love, the way He cares for us, the beauty of this earth that He has given us.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

what an amazing house/yard/view/fire pit!!! mia looks just like hannah in some of those pics! beautiful girls!!!

Great Scott's! said...

Looks like we just need to be neighbors because besides gardening, we were enjoying the same things yesterday!! What a beautiful day indeed!! I too just posted about it. great minds, right? Love you!! We need to hangout soon

Mrs. T said...

it is beautiful view! I know where ill be going this summer. :) Ur kids r so cute- Rylie misses Hannah. we need to get them together!