Monday, February 16, 2009

Physiological Anisocorea



After careful examination of the above image, you may notice that Charlotte's right pupil (left on your screen) is larger than her right. I noticed this not too long after she was born, especially while I was feeding her in dim light. I thought, "this is weird. Her pupils don't dilate the same. I don't remember her having any head trauma but I've never heard of this for any other reason but a concussion." Decided I should have the Dr. take a look at her. This is when things got interesting:

Our pediatrician (who is FABULOUS) told us that he had never seen this condition in an infant except for the week before we brought Charlotte in. He had seen it in a little boy about her age, and had read up on it. What are the chances of that? We felt really blessed that he was already prepared before we came in. And, what's an even greater coincidence is that I had met and chatted with the mother of that baby boy in my OBGYN's waiting room before either of us had given birth! Small world. Anyway, different sized pupils can be indicitive of serious problems or can indicate nothing at all. Our pediatrician decided we should have a specialist look at Charlotte to determine which scenerio we were facing. Our appointment was last week. We found out that Charlotte's condition is called "Physiological Anisocorea" which means, simply, that she was born with different sized pupils. They will always be that way. It's just part of who she is. She is now a member of a very small percentage of the world's population and will always have something really cool to share for show-and-tell!

1 comment:

michellecluff said...

funny thing... Kimball has the same thing. We noticed it a few years ago and were FREAKED OUT that he had a brain tumor or something but it's no big deal. WHEW!